Highly creative, conceptual, and multi-talented Senior Marketing & Communications professional with more than 25 years of online and offline experience. Adept in all dimensions of communications as both a support and a strategic function, with a passion for original, creative, and successful solutions.
Classically trained in visual communications while highly fluent in modern digital strategy. Experienced in entrepreneurship & business, and in building, managing, and motivating teams with heavy workloads.
Passionate about purpose in business – and as a driving force in marketing, brand, communications, culture building, and community creation.
- Build and manage cross-functional teams in a fast-paced environment
- Non-heirarchical leadership, team building, and people management
- Conceptual, creative, and fluent in visual design and brand development
- Creation of traditional and digital communications & marketing strategy, plans, and execution
- Leverage analytics and data driven approaches towards the achievement of business objectives
- Coordination and management of projects and strategies, on time, and on budget
- Brand & Marketing Strategy
- Technical & Creative Copywriting
- Digital Strategy & Development
- Media Relations & Crisis Communications
- Indigenous Engagement Strategy
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Microsoft Office/O365 Suite expert
- Adobe CC/CS3 Suite expert
- HTML, CSS, web design/UIX expert
- Fluent in corporate and non-profit marketing
- Results Oriented – Coordination of effort around measurable goals
- Strategically Creative – Conceptual and creative thinking applied to strategic initiatives
- People Focused – Encouraging individual and organizational growth
- Purpose Driven – Connected to deeper and more meaningful expression of authenticity
- MDP 1996: Founder and owner of a highly creative and successful web design and development company that has shaped digital marketing and communications solutions in Calgary for over 20 years.
- Froster.ca 2001-2008: Development of first ever digital strategy for the annual international Froster.ca online promotion which resulted in a 70% increase in Froster beverages purchases and a first true look into their demographic.
- Core Alignment 2009: ICF certified Team Builder/Facilitator and Executive/life/Relationship Coach.
- Calgary Homeless Foundation 2016-2021: Complete re-branding and re-positioning of a well-known nonprofit organization in Calgary that changes people’s lives
2016 – 2021
DIRECTOR, MARKETING, COMMUNICATIONS & DEVELOPMENT – Calgary Homeless Foundation – Calgary, Alberta
CHF is the CBO charged with guiding the fight against homelessness in Calgary, stewarding government and philanthropic funding towards innovative housing programs and system planning for Calgary’s Homeless-Serving System of Care.
- Create and execute stakeholder engagement, government relations, fund development, communications, social media, and marketing strategies
- Determine KPIs and leverage analytics and data driven approaches to achieve brand, marketing, and business objectives
- Develop and coordinate large-scale events, public consultation, and public relations initiatives
- Create and manage multiple complementary sub-brands to drive targeted engagement activities
- Build and advise on government and Indigenous relations strategies
Team & Project Management:
- Build and direct a cross-functional marketing and development team of 7
- Creation and management of a departmental budget of $1.3M
- Coordinate contractors, artists, videographers, photographers, print suppliers and technical engineers to deliver results on time and on budget
- Social Media and marketing technology & KPIs: SproutSocial, HootSuite, Google Analytics
- Spearhead a small but highly functional fund development team to create campaigns that provided a 75% increase over a 3 year period
- Redeploy web site and SEO strategy to increase Google impressions by 103% and average CTR by 130% annually over a 5 year period
- Lead a team of three specialists to increase social media engagement rates to: 1.7% on Twitter, 6.5% on Facebook, and 8.3% on LinkedIn
Technologies utilized: Adobe CC/CS3 Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat, Premier), Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Teams, Planner, SharePoint, OneNote), WordPress, Sprout Social, Google Analytics, MailChimp, CyberImpact.
2007 – Current
OWNER, CREATIVE & MARKETING CONSULTANT – Tangerine Leaf Inc. – Calgary, Alberta
As a contract gun for hire, I’ve collaborated with many high-profile clients (such as SAIT, ConocoPhillips, Graham Group, Sanjel, AVI Homes, Media Dog Productions Inc.), to help them succeed in their brand, communications, marketing, and business objectives.
- Provide creative direction through working with artists, writers, photographers, print suppliers and technical engineers to oversee and coordinate projects to deliver highly polished, final products.
- Create successful conceptual design solutions for communications and advertising campaigns, including branding, culture, digital, online and offline collateral.
- Recommend techniques, methods and media best suited to produce desired results and exceed communications and marketing requirements.
- Assist in the technical aspects of designing, developing and maintaining digital properties and strategies.
- Project management, budgeting, strategic planning and coordination of people and assets.
1996 – 2008
FOUNDER/OWNER, CTO, MARKETING STRATEGIST, CREATIVE DIRECTOR, FULL STACK DEVELOPER – Media Dog Productions Inc. – Calgary, Alberta
One of the very first, highly successful web design and development firms in Calgary.
- Built a small but agile company from startup to a 3M valuation
- Developed unique digital brand and culture campaigns which fueled online and offline activities to provide quantifiable analytics
- Recommended technologies, methodologies, and approaches best suited to desired client outcomes
- Identified and implemented SEO, SEM, and social media tactics that delivered measurable results
- Created digital brand strategy for many client organizations, from small startups to large, senior corporations
- Responsible for all aspects of business from strategic planning, budgeting, finances, sales, and client relations to project management, design, development, and delivery of final products
- Managed 12 employees and directed a team of developers and designers to offer unique marketing and communications solutions
- Proposal, content, and creative writing for clients and core business
Design & Development:
- Prepared UIX layouts and online solutions that balanced technical limitations with client need and established core usability standards for use on the web
- Designed digital interactive sales and marketing collateral
- Developed database-driven browser-based applications for use in many sectors such as medical, dental, oil & gas, and professional.
Certifications: Adobe Coldfusion Certified, IBM Net.Commerce Certified.
DAY CLASS INSTRUCTOR – WEB DESIGN – Alberta College of Art and Design – Calgary, Alberta
Instructed students at ACAD on the fundamentals of web design. In addition to the basics of HTML, I also illustrated the major differences in design approaches for online solutions as opposed to print, and how to engage and interact with the end viewer with good user experience and user-centric design.
LEAD ILLUSTRATOR AND DESIGNER – Gravitec Systems Inc. – Calgary, Alberta
As Gravitec’s first full-time lead illustrator and designer, I was involved in all aspects of graphic design during the company’s original formation in Calgary. From advertising and design to illustrations for manuals and teaching tools, my time with Gravitec was highly creative and productive.
- Created detailed and highly polished technical illustrations for engineered fall protection system manuals.
- Developed a set of “characters” and illustrations for training manuals used by both instructors and students.
- In charge of developing a brand and character toolset which subsequently became the official look for the Canadian Standards Association handbook on fall protection at that time.
1996 Visual Communications Major
Alberta College of Art and Design – Calgary, Alberta, Canada
2009 ICF Certification: Professional Team Building, Executive, Life and Relationship Coach
Demers Group – Calgary, Alberta, Canada
2015 – 2018 Board Member – Membership Chair
Alberta Society of Artists – Calgary, Alberta, Canada
2013 – 2015 Board Member – Technologies Chair
Alberta Society of Artists – Calgary, Alberta, Canada