Highly creative, conceptual and multi-talented Creative Director & Senior Communications Professional with more than 20 years of communications experience, both on and offline. Passionate about brand and all things visual, and adept at all aspects of the creative process from strategy to idea, to conception and completion – with a focus on creating original, creative, and successful solutions. Highly experienced in business, teamwork, managing and motivating teams of people and heavy workloads, with outstanding time management and project management skills for time-critical projects. Classically trained in multiple artistic mediums while highly fluent in modern digital strategy, methodology and tools.
- Strong visual communications sense
- Conceptual thinker
- Self-motivated, quick learner
- Creative and strategic
- Fluent in design strategies and concepts
- Knowledge of brand, culture and products
- Experience in digital marketing strategy, planning and execution
- Adobe CC/CS3 Suite expert
- Professional photography/photo enhancing
- Microsoft Office Suite expert
- HTML, CSS, web design/UIX expert
- Leadership, team building and people management skills
- Proficient in technical and creative writing
- Highly skilled in time, budget and project management
- Founder and owner of a highly creative and successful web design and development company that has shaped web communications solutions in Calgary for almost 20 years.
- Professional Fine Artist and Photographer with representation in commercial galleries across Alberta.
- Elected Member of both the Society of Canadian Artists and the Canadian Society of Painters in Watercolour, and a Juried Member of the Alberta Society of Artists.
- ICF certified Team Builder/Facilitator and life/Relationship Coach.
2008 – Current | FOUNDER/OWNER, CREATIVE DIRECTION, SENIOR DESIGN
Tangerine Leaf Inc. – Calgary, Alberta
As a contract gun for hire, I work with multiple high-profile clients such as SAIT, ConocoPhillips, Graham Group, Sanjel, AVI Homes, Media Dog Productions Inc., River Valley School, and more, in order to help them achieve their brand, communications, marketing and business objectives.
- Provide creative direction through working with artists, writers, photographers, print suppliers and technical engineers to oversee and coordinate projects to deliver highly polished, final products.
- Create successful conceptual design solutions for communications and advertising campaigns, including branding, culture, digital, online and offline collateral.
- Recommend techniques, methods and media best suited to produce desired results and exceed communications and marketing requirements.
- Assist in the technical aspects of designing, developing and maintaining digital properties and strategies.
- Project management, budgeting, strategic planning and coordination of people and assets.
1996 – 2008 | FOUNDER/OWNER, CTO, CREATIVE DIRECTOR, STRATEGIST, LEAD DESIGNER AND DEVELOPER
Media Dog Productions Inc. – Calgary, Alberta
Founding partner of the very first, and one of the most highly successful web design and development firms in Calgary.
- Prepared UIX layouts, online solutions and graphic files that balanced both technical limitations and clients needs and also established core design and usability standards for use on the web.
- Translated wireframes into web templates and graphics for use in content management systems such as Conductor, Joomla and WordPress.
- Created brand packages that encompassed both digital and offline materials.
- Designed digital interactive sales and marketing collateral and created online browser-based applications for use in many sectors such as medical, dental, oil & gas and professional.
- Developed unique digital brand and culture campaigns which engaged offline activities to enable quantifiable analytics and results.
- Recommended technologies, methodologies and approaches best suited to produce desired client outcomes.
- Identified and implemented SEO, SEM and social tactics that delivered quality measurable results.
- Responsible for all aspects of business from strategic planning, budgeting, finances, sales and client relations to project management, design, development and delivery of final products.
- Managed employees and directed a team of developers and designers to offer unique digital and print solutions in addition to consulting and offering improvements and direction on others’ projects.
- Proposal, content and creative writing for both clients and core business.
Certifications: Adobe Coldfusion Certified, IBM Net.Commerce Certified.
1998 | DAY CLASS INSTRUCTOR – WEB DESIGN
Alberta College of Art and Design – Calgary, Alberta
Instructed students at ACAD on the fundamentals of web design. In addition to the basics of HTML, I also illustrated the major differences in design approaches for online solutions as opposed to print, and how to engage and interact with the end viewer with good user experience and user-centric design.
1996 | LEAD ILLUSTRATOR AND DESIGNER
Gravitec Systems Inc. – Calgary, Alberta
As Gravitec’s first full-time lead illustrator and designer, I was involved in all aspects of graphic design during the company’s original formation in Calgary. From advertising and design to illustrations for manuals and teaching tools, my time with Gravitec was highly creative and productive.
- Created detailed and highly polished technical illustrations for engineered fall protection system manuals.
- Developed a set of “characters” and illustrations for training manuals used by both instructors and students.
- In charge of developing a brand and character toolset which subsequently became the official look for the Canadian Standards Association handbook on fall protection at that time.
2009 ICF Certification: Professional Team Building, Executive, Life and Relationship Coach
Demers Group – Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1996 Visual Communications Major
Alberta College of Art and Design – Calgary, Alberta, Canada
2015 – present Board Member – Membership Chair
Alberta Society of Artists – Calgary, Alberta, Canada
2013 – 2015 Board Member – Technologies Chair
Alberta Society of Artists – Calgary, Alberta, Canada